Total Home Remodel, Tonka Bay
This Tonka Bay home was built in 1956 by commercial architect Jackson Griswold. His Heirs started remodeling the home but exhausted their budget and soon ran out of the desire to finish the home. The house was purchased by a developer after sitting empty for three years. Jeff Danberry of Excelsior Design Group designed the remodel/restoration of this Frank Lloyd Wright inspired rambler.
This project has been featured in the Home Section of the Star Tribune as well as Lake Minnetonka Magazine and the Remodeler’s Showcase.
Tonka Bay, MN
The client wanted to integrate a combination of a restoration and remodel of this 1950’s mid-century modern.
- Original oak floors, custom sliding doors, oak storage cabinets, redwood interior soffits and paneling, awning windows, original “porthole” recessed lights, and Fir structural beams were restored.
- Original brick fireplace remains.
- This one bathroom original home now has a main floor laundry/mudroom in its place.
- The home now has two full baths and one 3/4 bath within the original footprint.
- The original home had 3 small bedrooms-now creatively upgraded to 3 bedrooms including a master suite that includes a whirlpool tub, walk in door less shower, double vanity, and walk in closet.
- The original spiral staircase to the lower level is now a traditional switchback stair in the original opening.
- Original landscaping and retaining walls remain.
- Original exterior redwood siding and soffits were repainted.